Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Surprise #2: Weights and measures



My weight has been an issue for someone in my life for as long as I can remember.

First, it was my mother, who put me on my first diet when I was 8. It took seven years of therapy later in life for me to be able to say that I think she meant well. That is to say, she didn’t want me to live a life of loneliness and misery. And as far as she knew — though from what source I can't imagine — if you weren’t skinny, you were bound to be lonely and miserable.

It would be another decade before I started to worry about my weight. In 11th grade, I got stood up for a date. A friend confessed that she'd heard him say he wasn’t sure he wanted to date a “fat chick.” A couple of days later, I went to Weight Watchers for the first time. I was successful in losing weight and with each pound I lost, interest from boys went up. Eventually, I found myself dating a boy who scared the shit out of me — the first Latin stud who ever gave me a second look. That’s when I knew my mother had to be right. Thin equaled happy and loved.

My practice-husband — the bonehead — took worrying about my weight to a whole new level. He worried constantly about what I was wearing and eating, and withheld his affection if he didn’t think I made the grade. I spent three long years second-guessing myself. Despite valiant efforts to be beautiful in his eyes, I put on a bunch of weight during our marriage. Any dime-store psychologist would have seen that coming.

Post-divorce, I no longer needed padding to protect me from him and my weight dropped fast. It was a wild time in my life — one I would neither eighty-six nor repeat. Midway through, I got myself involved with a bad man. He disrespected me. More importantly, I disrespected myself. Eventually, despite more valiant efforts, my weight began to creep up yet again. I fought like hell. It was a losing battle.

After a few years of that, I hit rock bottom, came to my senses and walked into therapy. Seven years later, I emerged having conquered the demons that live on food issues, distorted body image and skinny=love.

Uh, except that, clearly, I haven’t. Because today, I feel guilty. Like a cheater. And a fake.

For eight months before surgery and four weeks afterward, this journey was about curing diabetes. It’s all I thought about. All I cared about. All I needed.

With that goal accomplished, my thoughts have turned to what’s happening to my body: It’s slimming down, without much work.

I’m not counting calories or fat grams or carbs. I’m not having to choose between what tastes good and what’s good for me. I’m not restricting myself or punishing myself or beating myself up when the scale doesn’t move.

For the first time in my life, I’m not dieting and I’m losing weight anyway.

On paper, it sounds lovely, doesn’t? In my head, it’s something different entirely. It’s not fair. It’s not right. It makes a mockery out of everyone who’s ever struggled to lose weight.

Somehow, in those seven years of therapy, I neglected to deal with a misguided belief that weight loss must be an epic struggle between a good person and a bad body in order to be just.

As a result, I’m fighting to hold onto the belief that what I‘ve done, what I’m doing, isn’t a lesser task than, say, if I’d rejoined Weight Watchers and or dialed up Dr. Atkins. It’s a daily struggle for me to believe that my decisions and actions aren’t inferior to those who take on this demon without surgery.

I know there are plenty of people on the planet who believe that what I’ve done is take the easy way out. A dear friend who had a similar surgery — the woman I call my Spirit Guide — has encountered these people in her life more than once.

Another friend of mine has spent the past 45 weeks or so losing 75 pounds. Her discipline and motivation, her drive to succeed, have made her thin and healthy. For that reason, no matter what happens from here, her accomplishment will outpace mine in my head.

Funny thing is, it absolutely does not not outpace Spirit Guide’s accomplishments. In my mind, her surgery is wasn’t a cop out. I’m proud of her for making a tough decision and following through. She’s worked hard to adapt to a dramatic new way of living, and she’s healthier for it.

How many years of therapy do you think it’ll take before I give myself the same credit?

6 comments:

  1. Anyone that believes you have taken the easy way out is stupid. Plain and simple. You made a wise, brave decision to be around for your family - for a long, long time. You committed to big sacrifices pre- and post- surgery. You are an inspiration to others that this disease can be beat! Give yourself some credit, girl. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you can't be beating yourself up over this....you know how hard it is to lose weight. I know you must have tried it many times. It takes so much willpower to diet and sometimes life just gets in the way. You certainly did not take the easy way out. It took a lot of courage and willpower to get through the daunting tasks of those awful protein shakes and facing surgery, which nobody looks forward to. You got off that awful medicine that made you feel so sick all the time. Think of how you would still be feeling if you tried the diet route again. No, you did not take the easy way out....you took the way to better health and a happier future. Just believe in yourself and stay happy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it really so easy drinking those shakes?
    Were those hunger pains no sweat in retrospect?
    Were your six weeks off of work really that enjoyable ?(okay, well....)
    As you mentioned - people can be stupid and mean. Do you really care what they think??
    When they say you look wonderful - smile and say thank you.
    If they ask how you did it - tell them it was actually a side effect of a medical treatment.
    If they want to judge - pity them for their poor social skills and lack of true blue friends.
    You are becoming healthy to live a long, happy life with your handsome husband and sweet, sweet girl. Who would really pass that up, if given the option? No more shots. No more nasuea. More spontaneous snack stops (less snacks), more sexy clothes, more self confidence. More opportunities to help your new clubmates find a little empathy and compassion. You have always been, and will always be, pretty terrific just the way you are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dear Friend,

    Don't forget why you did what you did.Ok? Susan said it best. You made a decision for you and your family. Your life, your life, your life. I actually love you more now (if that was possible) because you took a stand for your health. I admire you and so do many others. Here's the thing - you don't need to justify why you did it to anyone and if somehow you feel that you are doing that, ask yourself why? You know why. You love yourself and your family and should. Guilt is a miserable word. I can't make it go away for you but I can tell you that I think you are amazing and you are crazy for feeling the way you do. You are incredible AND again, your life, your choices. Hang in there. Big Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve shed a disease; you’ve shed pounds, now it’s time to shed some of the guilt that weighs you down. We all forge chains of guilt and remorse, link by link with seemingly bad decisions, unhappy and unfortunate memories; we alone build it, carry it - no, drag it day after day, year after year through life. Beth, continue to write, love and share, and know what you really own and understand what those that love you see. I see wings of joy, light, and love. And they outweigh all those old chains by a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Beth,

    This is the first time I have posted on your blog so bear with me. I love comments on my writing too be it ever so infrequent. I've been trying to write a book for about 10 years. I can't get past the synopsis and the character descriptions. Anyhoo - we are looking forward to seeing you soon! As far as your blog - You know I LOVE IT! I can't wait to see what you will say next. I always loved your blog on going to the Carrie Underwood concert. Actually, I come back and read and re-read your blog regularaly. I'm so glad it is tied to facebook. Also, on the subject of fat - I have had a personal struggle myself, and I have chosen to accept a little extra weight. I embrace my size 16 figure, and I dare anyone to put me down about it. My husband of 16 years loves me for who I am and that is one of the most important things to me. When I had my very own tennis shop I had to get over being a plus size really fast. If I helped a man buy something for his wife I would immediately say, "Well, I am a size 16, is she bigger or smaller than me?" I'll admit every now and then I would like to have a different life and be a size 6 for a day, but for the most part I accept and love myself. I am so proud of you and excited for you! You are very brave to have an operation, and you are a good example for many people who want to be healthy. I can't wait to see you! You go girl!!! Luv ya and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete